I’ve made some pretty bad vegan chocolate chip cookies in my day. Some didn’t have any bulk to them. Other batches were overly sweet in an attempt to compensate for the lack of butter fat. In this chocolate chip cookie recipe, I added both walnuts and rolled oats to fill the cookie out a bit and I used maple syrup and brown sugar as sweeteners.
Adjust the amount of chocolate chips based on how many chips you require per bite in your vegan chocolate chip cookies. I’ll be honest, I can’t stand trying to pick out the most chocolatey cookie in the batch, so I make sure my cookies are laden with chocolatey goodness. But adjust to your own preference.
The Ultimate Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
1 & 3/4 cups walnuts, toasted, finely ground in a food processor
2 cups regular oats, divided
3/4 cup white Kamut flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp. almond milk
3.5 Tbsp. coconut oil (make sure it’s room temperature and not a solid)
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F and grease a baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, 1/2 the oats, and brown sugar. Process in a food processor for 20 seconds.
3. In a small bowl, add in liquid coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla. Add to the same food processor batch for 10 more seconds. Mix in 1 cup of oats. Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Use an ice cream scooper to make a dough ball, place on the cookie sheet, and flatten. Repeat until the dough is used up, ensuring that there are at least a few inches between the raw cookie dough balls.
5. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F. Let cool on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes.
Recipe inspired by Oh She Glows.
Related on Organic Authority