Creamy and cool, chocolate fudge popsicles are a perfect match for hot summer days. Upgrade your afternoon treat with our delicious DIY version of the famous Fudgsicle®. Our popsicles are made with real chocolate, fresh avocado, and lower-calorie nut milk – along with less sugar and less saturated fat.
Popsicle Toppers & Alternatives
Top off your chocolate fudge pops with your favorite toasted nuts to add a little pizzazz. We like almonds, but pecans, walnuts, and cashews work just as well. You could also add some toasted coconut flakes and/or chocolate chips, with or without the nuts – or skip the topper altogether for a simple, smooth and creamy treat.
Popsicle Planning & Preparation
Read through the entire recipe before you begin, and make sure that you have all the supplies that you need. You’ll be using a few different cooking pots, along with a blender and/or food processor. You’ll also need popsicle sticks and a popsicle mold – or you can always get creative and use ice cube trays, paper cups, or plastic yogurt containers.
This recipe makes 10 chocolate fudge pops using a mold for ½ cup popsicles, the standard size.
2 ½ cups unsweetened nut milk – almond, cashew, or hazelnut (chocolate if available)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder
½ cup coconut sugar
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
1 medium, ripe avocado
½ cup chopped, toasted nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews or pecans)
- Prepare your ingredients. Peel the avocado and remove the pit, and chop the bittersweet chocolate finely.
- Mix your nut milk, cornstarch, cocoa powder and coconut sugar together in a medium-size pan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Once the mixture is boiling, cook for one minute or until it thickens. Keep whisking!
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in your chopped chocolate. Whisk the mixture until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Set your pot that contains the chocolate fudge mixture into a larger pot that is filled with ice in order to cool everything down slowly. Stir frequently until the mixture is cool, which will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the cooled chocolate mixture into a blender. Add your vanilla extract, salt, and avocado flesh to the mix, and blend until everything is smooth and creamy.
- Sprinkle the bottom of 10 half-cup popsicle molds with a large pinch of your toasted nuts, and then slowly pour in your chocolate fudge mixture until full.
- Insert popsicle sticks and freeze until firm, which will take about three hours. Enjoy!
Related on Organic Authority
Chocolate fudge popsicle image via Shutterstock