This is one of the healthiest brownie recipes that I’ve seen. The batter is made up of a number of antioxidant-rich superfoods including raw nuts, dates, cacao, and coconut oil. Add in some figs and a little applesauce for moisture and you just can’t go wrong. Coconut shows up in this recipe in three forms: coconut milk, coconut shreds, and coconut oil. Not only is this vegan and gluten free brownie recipe healthy and delicious, it only takes a few short minutes to pull together. Enjoy with a cup of tea or a glass of dairy-free milk.
Vegan, Gluten Free Date & Coconut Brownie Recipe
Makes about 12 pieces
½ cup raw cashews
½ cup dried pitted dates
½ cup raw organic cacao powder
1/3 cup applesauce
¼ cup organic cane sugar
¼ cup organic canned coconut milk
¼ cup organic coconut shreds
5 stemmed dried figs
2 Tbsp. organic unrefined coconut oil
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Add nuts, cacao, sugar, salt, and baking soda into the food processor and process until combined and ground.
3. Add in dates, figs, coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut shreds, and blend until it’s a smooth batter. Add to a medium bowl and stir in applesauce.
4. Grease an 8 x 8 pan lined with foil and spread batter evenly over the foil.
5. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting. These brownies can be stored in the refrigerator for a week.
Recipe adapted from MindBodyGreen.
Related on Organic Authority