This comforting vegan vegetable soup recipe is full of hearty goodness with sweet potatoes and chickpeas and a touch of rosemary. Nourish your body and soul!
While peak season for sweet potatoes is October through December, you can typically find them year-round. These orange hued gems are full of health benefits which make them the ideal addition to this vegan soup recipe. Just one sweet potato has approximately triple the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A which aids the immune system. Sweet potatoes are also a great source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, biotin, potassium, and fiber.
The trick to making soup filling and sustaining is to fill it with fibrous ingredients like chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans. Homemade beans work great in this recipe, especially if you cook them with kombu which will help you digest them more easily.
Rosemary, another key ingredient in this soup, adds a fragrant touch that complements the sweet potatoes. Rosemary has been shown to have immune system boosting properties which may help ward off the dreaded winter cold.
This soup is extremely versatile, so the vegetables in it can be varied. You can easily swap the sweet potatoes for a winter squash or pumpkin if that’s what you have on hand. Feel free to play around with the ingredients!
This soup can be a filling meal all on its own but you can’t go wrong serving it with toast for dunking. Simply spread a light layer of vegan buttery spread such as Earth Balance on your bread of choice and toast until golden and crispy.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 4 cups organic low-sodium vegetable broth
- 15 ounces cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Wash the fresh produce
- Small dice the onions
- Mince the garlic
- Small dice the celery
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoe
- Peel and medium dice the carrots
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for about four minutes, until softened and translucent.
- Reduce heat slightly and add garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Add the celery, sweet potato, and carrot and sauté over medium heat for six minutes. If vegetables begin to stick to the pot, add another tablespoon of oil.
- Meanwhile, slice each Roma tomato in half. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Then dice the tomatoes and set aside.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, chickpeas, rosemary, bay leaf, sea salt, and pepper to the pot.
- Bring soup to a boil over high heat and then reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for about ten minutes, or until all the vegetables have softened.
- Remove bay leaf and rosemary sprigs. Serve and enjoy!
Related on Organic Authority
4 Surprising Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Love for Meatless Monday
Mouth-Watering Savory and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
How to Dry Herbs at Home: The 3 Best Ways to Preserve Color, Freshness, and Aroma
Images via Karissa Bowers