There are all kinds of food safety tips floating around out there, but it can be hard to tell the old wives tales from the scientific fact. It doesn't help that many brands do everything in their power to limit how much we really know about what we're eating. Thankfully, mobile technology puts power back in the hands of the people with the creation of food apps that increase transparency.
Have you tried any of the food apps listed below? Which ones seem the most practical for your lifestyle? Tell us in a comment!
6 Cool Food Apps That Make Meals Safer
1. Is My Food Safe? - Everything about this app is designed to prevent cross-contamination and food poisoning in your home. Learn how to check the safe internal cooking temperatures for meats and more; essential information on how long you can keep leftovers; and even a quiz that helps you grade your own kitchen on safety. One downside, this food app was created the Home Food Safety program, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and ConAgra Foods (the latter is the conglomorate behind many unhealthy brands and products). For Android and iOS.
2. MyDx - Chemicals are everywhere, even in food packaging. MyDx (pictured at top) is a portable analyzer that tests for the purity of solids, liquids, and gases. This technology was developed by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) and is used by NASA. Acting like a bionic nose, MyDx detect molecules in vapor, effectively exposing any and all chemicals (like pesticides) found in the food we eat and water we drink. Just hook the sensor up to your smartphone, and in seconds you'll have an in-depth analysis of your sample. Available for pre-order via Indiegogo.
3. Dirty Dozen - According to the Environmental Working Group, you can lower your pesticide intake by simply avoiding the 12 most contaminated fruits and vegetables. This app will help you save money and your health by showing which fruits and vegetables have the most pesticide residues and which are the most important to buy organic. For Android and iOS.
4. HarvestMark Food Traceability - This one is ideal for anyone who buys produce packaged by Driscoll's, Alta, Sun World, or other HarvestMark growers/shippers. Just scan or enter the code included on each product and you can instantly trace the food back to its source. Learn where it was grown – or even whether it’s been recalled. There's also a function to send comments to the grower if you feel the food isn't up to par. Wouldn't it be cool if everyone used food apps like this? For Android and iOS.
5. Food Additives 2 - We're just now starting to learn the full scope of food additives. These chemical substances are added to just about everything, and some are more dangerous than others. Fully searchable, this application lets you quickly and easily access the general information of 450+ food additives (self contained database, so no internet connection needed!). It's perfect for those with food allergies, or following a restricted diet. For iOS only. If you're an Android, check out the What Additives app.
6. Non-GMO Project Shopping Guide - Prefer not to eat food that's been genetically engineered? This app will help you identify brands and products that are enrolled in the Non-GMO Project’s Product Verification Program—the only third party non-GMO certifying program in the U.S. For iOS. If you're an Android, try Check GMO.
Related on Organic Authority: