Summer is an amazing time of bounty in your garden. But if you can't handle all of your garden's produce right away, pickling is a great way to savor your summer harvest for the rest of the year. These pickled vegetables recipes can make it happen!
Pickling can be a delicious choice for so many vegetables. Experiment with whatever you have: carrots, cucumbers, peppers, cauliflower, squash and even green beans are great for pickling. Try our 10 summer pickling recipes to get you started.
10 Pickled Vegetables Recipes
- Pickled Peppers: Ever thought to pickle a peck of peppers? Now you can learn how with our very own pickled peppers recipe.
- Pickled Squash: One of summer's most prolific veggies is summer squash. If you're like me, after a while you get sick of it sauteed or starring in a cheesy casserole. Check out this simple summer squash pickling recipe to save the rest for winter. Or try this summer squash bread and butter pickles recipe from Epicurious.
- Summertime Sweet Pickles: If you have cucumbers and sweet onions, try this amazing summertime sweet pickles recipe. The turmeric and apple cider vinegar really give these pickles a unique taste.
- Refrigerator Pickles: Food Network host Ted Allen's Refrigerator Pickles made with a simple light brine works with just about any veggies. He uses cucumbers, carrots, green beans, cauliflower and spicy peppers. It's incredibly simple and delicious.
- Crispy Pickled Carrots: Crispy orange carrots make a healthy appetizer, a great addition to any meal or as a snack. If you're sick of raw sticks, keep these crispy pickled carrots in the refrigerator for a quick, healthy snack. Or try our pickled carrots recipe!
- Zucchini Pickles: Not all bread and butter-style pickles need to be made with cucumbers, try Judy's Zucchini Pickles for a new twist.
- Pickled Beans: Portland's Unbound Pickling shared this recipe, French-Quarter Pickled Beans, for the ultimate pickled green beans.
- Japanese Cucumber Pickles: These delicate, subtly flavored Japanese cucumber refrigerator pickles are the perfect accompaniment to summertime grilled foods.
- Fast Homemade Pickles: Try Martha's recipe for super quick pickles. Mustard seed, celery seed, and fresh dill pack a flavorful punch in this versatile brine. You can use the brine with just about any summer veggies.
- Watermelon Radishes: These little beauties, watermelon radishes, can be pickled, too.
Related on Organic Authority