Here are 5 ingredients to poach in your fruit desserts, and some cooking tips on how to craft them into a gourmet-status sweet treat.
It’s cold outside, but you still want a refreshing fruit dessert after dinner. Instead of a cold fruit dessert, get cozy with a poached fruit dish that will refresh you while keeping you warm.
Right off the bat, you’ll want to learn how to poach (read our article here for a quick tutorial). Once you’ve mastered this simple but sophisticated cooking method, you can create wonderfully soft and juicy desserts.
Choose any of the winter fruits below to test out with your winter fruit dessert, and poach away!
Once cooked, here are some great ways to serve your poached fruits:
- Serve over a sweetened yogurt sauce. Try honey and vanilla or pureed fruits spooned into plain yogurt.
- Serve with a sweet reduction sauce. Try boiling down apple or orange juice until nice and thick, then add vanilla and lemon juice to taste, then drizzle over your poached fruits. This is especially nice if you top off the plate with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
- Serve with a mascarpone sauce. A taste and texture somewhere in-between sweet cream cheese and yogurt, mascarpone is delightful to dollop over any fruit for dessert.
- Serve over French toast. French toast need not be reserved for breakfast! Spoon poached fruits over a large piece of French toast and top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and sprig of fresh mint.
- Serve with a drizzle of chocolate sauce. This needs no explanation!
Related on Organic Authority