It’s 9am. Last night you had an incredible time out on the town, but now it seems you’re paying the price - the lack of sleep is kicking in just as you’ve sat down to tackle your work load. Instead of heading out to get your caffeine fix at the local cafe, grab a snack. That’s right - food can boost your energy just as well as coffee or tea. In fact, you won’t experience the highs and lows that you do with your favorite venti skinny latte. Here are 5 tasty treats that will give you another excuse to go out tonight and power through the following morning.
1. Fruit is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth, plus the vitamins, minerals and carbs add up to a quick release of energy. Bananas are a fantastic choice, as they are full of electrolytes and potassium. Other yummy options are oranges, apples, figs, dates, berries and cantaloupe - sounds like a fruit bowl is in order!
2. Almonds are a super food - they are full of protein and calcium, vitamins, and their essential fatty acid content will to keep your mind alert. One ounce will not only boost your vitality, but fill you up fast.
3. Oatmeal is rich in fiber and low on the glycemic index and will therefore give you a steady flow of energy as it digests. Have it for breakfast or as a mid-day snack, just go easy on the sugar, or nix the sugar all together in favor of stevia or coconut granules.
From the Organic Authority Files
4. Green foods are packed with nutrition content like vitamins B and C, magnesium and iron, which results in a high amount of energy when consumed. Make a point to add some of the following to your lunch: green leafy vegetables (kale, spinach), celery, parsley, green lentils, green peppers, and green powders.
5. Water plays a major role in the body, and without enough of it the body lacks efficiency, leaving you feeling fatigued. Keep a reusable bottle around you at all times as a reminder to drink water throughout the day, and you’ll feel vivacious (aside from taking a few extra bathroom breaks).
Once you start eating these natural energy boosts you'll wonder how you dealt with the side effects of caffeinated products. However, if you're worried about missing out on the socialization aspect of going to a cafe or the taste of coffee and tea, an easy compromise is ordering decaf/caffeine-free drinks. And if you want to call upon your inner eco diva, bring your own mug and save a tree!
- Kick the Coffee Habit with Loose Organic Green Tea
- The Sleep Diet, Snore the Pounds Away...
- Monitoring Food and Mood