Learn how to craft your own homemade DIY makeup products to save money and the environment.
Whether you are making the decision to be more budget or planet-friendly, making your own makeup can be a better solution all around. Buying supplies in bulk can be both a less expensive option and make for less wasteful packing.
In addition, there's a cornucopia of toxic chemicals in many store-bought makeup products, including lead, formaldehyde, parabens and other heavy metals. These chemicals can wreak havoc on the environment and your health. To learn more about the concerns of toxic chemicals and safer purchased options, visit the Environmental Working Group (EWG) website. The EWG is an environmental health research and advocacy organization whose goal is to educate consumers in order that can make safer choices.
While you may think you don’t have the time or that making your own makeup is difficult, you just might be surprised at how simple many DIY makeup recipes are. Don’t believe me? See for yourself below.
7 Homemade DIY Makeup Recipes to Save Money and the Planet
- Beet Root Red Lipstick - You might think that making your own lipstick is pretty much impossible, but think again. With just beeswax, shea butter and beet root powder, you can make your own custom red lipstick.
- Cocoa and Cinnamon Bronzer - Love the look of sun-kissed cheeks but without the risk of sunburn, bronzer is the solution. Make your own from arrowroot powder or organic cornstarch, cocoa powder and cinnamon.
- Liquid Foundation with Sun Protection - It’s also possible to make your own liquid foundation as well. This recipe has a tad more ingredients, but the final product also provides for some sun protection with the inclusion of zinc oxide.
- Petroleum-free Lip Balm - Make your own lip balm free from all petroleum products.
- Homemade Hibiscus Blush - This DIY makeup recipe calls for hibiscus powder to create your own toxic chemical-free powder blush.
- Charcoal or Cocoa Eyeliner - Eyeliner is a necessity for the cat eye look. Make your own liquid eyeliner with coconut oil, aloe vera gel, activated charcoal (for black), or cocoa powder (for brown).
- Homemade Mascara - You want to use the safest possible ingredients for anything around your eyes. This recipe for mascara calls for coconut oil, aloe vera gel, grated beeswax, activated charcoal capsules and a mascara container.
Related on Organic Authority
Top Image: CLEARSKINMinerals