Discover how to make your own simple DIY beauty products. There are plenty of reasons to make your own beauty products from stuff you either already have in your home or from things you can pick up at the grocery store or farmers market. It’s better for you, the environment and your wallet!
We’ve all been hearing about the dangers of nasty chemicals in our beauty and personal products. There are all kinds of really disturbing ingredients in those store bought cosmetic and beauty products, stuff like: phthalates, which have been called a “global threat” by the World Health Organization; parabens, a preservative to extend shelf life that mimics estrogen when absorbed by the body and has been linked to all sorts of health issues; propylene alcohol, which is a common skin irritant but is still found in many beauty products anyway; and keratin, which actually is made from animal by-products that come from the unsustainable factory farming system.
And of course, there’s the issue of animal experimentation and animal-sourced ingredients. It can be difficult to find products that have not been tested on animals and do not include animal products in the ingredients for those who want to choose cruelty-free.
That’s not to mention the incredible cost of store-bought beauty products. Many of these products tout outlandish claims and can cost as much as your entire food budget for the week! It’s enough to make a girl turn to making her own beauty care products, and that’s just why we’ve put together this list of DIY beauty tutorials.
7 DIY Beauty Products
- Deal with Tired Eyes - Get rid of the bags under your and make your eyes look less tired by using cucumber slices and tea bags.
- Banish Breakouts - Use essential oils to manage those pesky skin breakouts. Oils of tea tree, bergamot and lavender can all help bring you clearer skin. If you don’t have a source local to you, Mountain Rose Herbs is an online source.
- Restore Hair from Product Buildup - This clarifying tomato juice hair rinse will help bring back dull tresses that are weighed down from too much product buildup. Tomato juice and apple cider vinegar are the powerhouses behind this beauty recipe.
- Simple Homemade Bronzer - Want to make your skin glow? Try this DIY beauty recipe for homemade bronzer that calls for ground cinnamon and nutmeg with cocoa powder and cornstarch mixed with lotion.
- Facial Exfoliator - Who knew all you needed to gently exfoliate your face was honey and brown sugar? Sounds like the start to a cake!
- Gloss Those Lips - Make your own lip gloss with beeswax, sweet almond oil, olive oil and coconut oil. Optional the essential oil of your choice.
- Dry Shampoo - Dry shampoo is actually pretty easy to make from cornstarch and essential oils. A super easy DIY beauty tip!
Related on Organic Authority
Top Image: Bellafaye Garden