When it comes to selecting a moisturizer for your unique skin, the options are boundless (as are the ingredient lists), the prices belie the contents (unless they contain actual gold flakes), and frankly, who knows what exactly we're paying top dollar for. In fact, if you ask us, the perfect moisturizer is not the $100 one with exotic ingredients gathered from around the world, the deep dark seas and bottoms of test tubes – nope – it's the $5 (or less!) one you crafted in your own kitchen using pure ingredients you handpicked just for your one-of-a-kind skin type. No chemicals, no fillers, nothing shady – just authentic and unadulterated constituents bottled up to get you (and only you) through a winter of potentially dry, flaky skin.
While you may need to play around a bit to get your best moisturizer, once you've discovered it, you'll have it forever, and can always tweak it to your liking and needs.
Here is a recipe to start your great experiment into blending your own silky, smooth face cream. Where you take it is totally up to your imagination...
- 2 tablespoons grated beeswax
- ¼ cup distilled water
- ¼ cup rose water
- ½ cup almond oil (or argan oil)
- 5 drops galbanum essential oil
- 4 drops rose essential oil
- Mix beeswax and distilled water on the stove over low heat
- When thoroughly combined, pour your mixture into a blender and use a low speed setting
- While blending, add rose water and essential oils
- Gradually add in almond oil
- Let your mixture cool down
- Pour it into a jar... and Voila!
Here are some ways you can start to think about customizing your cream:
- For very dry skin, adding the contents of 2-3 vitamin E capsules (to the oil/beeswax mixture)
- For very dry skin, adding pureed avocado to the completed product (you'll have to refrigerate it though)
- For oily skin, using grape seed oil to replace almond oil
- For a natural astringent, adding a teaspoon of lemon juice (refrigerate after), a tablespoon of cucumber juice (refrigerate after), or 2 tablespoons of witch hazel at the end (check out 2 DIY Skin Care Recipes to Shrink Your Pores)
Now that's organic beauty!
image: Victor Bezrukov