If you'd rather get stabbed with a pencil than sport a tank top these days, it's time for an arm-toning intervention. These moves will give you tight, sexy arms by sculpting muscles for sultry shape. What they won't do, however, is remove any fat from the region—no single exercise can accomplish that. To trim down excess bulge, you'll need to lose weight all over by eating fewer calories and fitting regular cardio workouts into your schedule. With a combination of weight loss and these super-effective toning moves, you'll want to show off your fabulous arms in no time.
1. Triceps Extensions
These moves are super-simple to perform, but you'll feel the burning in the back of your arms to know they're working. If you don't have a dumbbell at home, try using a water bottle or large soup can.
- Stand up, pick up one dumbbell and hold it over your head with your arms straight. Wrap both hands around the weight.
- Bend your elbows to lower the weight behind your head. Stop when your elbows are bent to 90-degree angles with your forearms parallel to the ground.
- Slowly straighten your elbows to return to starting position. Repeat for at least one set of 12 repetitions.
2. Isometric Chest Press
Perform this move anywhere, anytime. You don't need any equipment, and you can fit in a few reps sitting at your workdesk or waiting for water to boil in the kitchen. Isometric chest presses tone your biceps along with your chest muscles.
From the Organic Authority Files
- Lift your arms to shoulder height and clasp your hands in front of your chest so that your palms are pressed together.
- Push your palms against each other as hard as you can, and hold for about 10 seconds.
- Relax your arms and repeat for at least one set of eight repetitions.
3. Hammer Curls
These moves are tough, but they build serious bicep muscle. Again, use household items if you don't have access to dumbbells.
- With a weight in each hand, stand straight with your arms by your sides. The weights should lightly rest on the outsides of your thighs.
- Bend your right elbow to lift the weight until it almost touches your right shoulder.
- Slowly lower the weight to return to starting position, and repeat with your left arm this time. Continue, alternating arms, until you've performed 12 repetitions on each side.
Not only do push-ups create killer triceps, but they also shape your shoulders and may even perk up your chest a bit. If the traditional variety is too tough at first, keep your knees on the ground instead of extending your legs.
- Place your palms on the ground just beneath your shoulders, straighten your arms and extend your legs to place the rest of your weight on your toes.
- Slowly bend your elbows to lower your body to the ground. Stop once your chin just touches the floor.
- Slowly straighten your elbows to push back up, and repeat the exercise for a total of 12 repetitions.