We don’t often think about giving our staircases a makeover, but the staircase is often the first thing that visitors see when entering your home. Adding a little design to your stairs can give a dramatic change to the entry of your home. Hopefully these staircase ideas can offer you a little inspiration to add some creative decoration to your home.
12 DIY Staircase Ideas
- Textured Embossed Wallpaper Stairs - Add some beautiful embossed wallpaper to the front of your stair risers to create a Victorian look.
- Painted Chevron Risers - Adding dramatic chevrons to your risers is as easy using painters’ tape and the color of your choice.
- Ombre Stair Risers - Ombre is a subtle way to add color and creativity to your staircase and is as simple as choosing 5 or more hues of a single color.
- Under Staircase Shelves - In addition to adding decoration to the front of your steps, consider the underside of your staircase. It’s possible to create a cozy, little nook under the stairs.
- Mirror Tile Staircase - For a Studio 54-esque look, add mirrored tiles to your stair risers.
- Staircase Drawers - While this project may be for the more advanced DIYer, we can all dream about adding useful storage to our staircase!
- Painted Wooden Crate Stairs - This idea for repurposing wooden crates as a staircase is clever and green.
- Rainbow Painted Stairs - Nothing sets the tone for your home than a bright, colorful rainbow staircase!
- Handpainted Book Spine Steps - If you are a book lover and a talented painter, consider decorating your risers like your favorite books.
- Stenciled Stairs - Stenciling the fronts of stair risers is a project even the most challenged among us should be able to complete.
- Industrial Risers - Front your risers with diamond plate aluminum for an industrial retro look.
- Chalkboard Stairs - Paint the front of your risers with chalkboard paint and change up the design as the mood strikes you.
Related on Organic Authority