Playing with you food can be fun. Kids know this and grownups need to remember it. Plus, food as art is both a practical and fun medium, so we have pulled together some food arts and crafts ideas that are simple and practical.
Whether making macaroni necklaces with preschoolers or using vegetable dyes to create handmade batik fabrics, food as a medium is super versatile, safer to work with than some conventional chemical mediums, and, it's also just downright fun. That's not to mention that the desire to make art with our food is something human beings are born with (or at least learn pretty early on). Don’t believe me? Just watch any toddler sitting in a highchair creating beautiful messes with their spaghetti sauce or pudding.
Using food as a medium can also be a more sustainable choice. For example, instead of purchasing stamps and ink pads from the craft store, make your own. Carve your own stamps using potatoes that are a little past their prime for eating, but still just right for crafting. Beets and blueberries make great “ink” as well.
The key to is not be afraid to get creative and to play with your food. Most of these are safe for kids and adults alike, although some may require supervision for little kids.
13 Food Related Arts and Crafts Ideas and Projects for Kids of All Ages
- Salt Watercolor Technique - Salt is used to create a bas-relief effect.
- Natural Vegetable and Fruit Dyeing - Natural dyes can be fun and more safe than synthetic dyes.
- Citrus Stamped Tea Towels - A project for using citrus slices as a stamp.
- Painted Bowtie Pasta Butterfly Craft - A perfect craft for young children.
- DIY Food Stamps - Creative arts and crafts ideas for using all kind of food to create hand stamps.
- Peppermint Candy Cake Platter - Use peppermint hard candies to make an edible cake platter.
- Heart-Shaped Popcorn Bird feeder - Popped corn is both pretty and practical.
- DIY Rice Heating Pad - Use rice to make a DIY heating pad to soothe aches and pains.
- KoolAid Snow Paint - Don’t drink the KoolAid, instead use it to snow paint with.
- Oatmeal and Lavender Soak - Craft up a batch for homemade gifts.
- Eggshell Succulent Garden - Make a pretty indoor garden.
- Orange Peel Candles - Repurpose orange peels and make your home smell nice.
- Homemade Potpourri - Here’s another food related scent craft project.
Related on Organic Authority