Our furry babies need to live green, too, rather than suffer from toxins applied to their skin. Try our five DIY natural flea treatment and prevention techniques to keep your furry ones happy and healthy.
1. Garlic and yeast: Mixing raw garlic or Brewer's yeast into your pets food can repel fleas and ticks. The smell and taste of these foods repel the pests.
2. Diatomaceous earth: Whenever we get an actual flea problem inside the house rather than just on a pet, we layer the carpet with diatomaceous earth. This dusty powder is actually the fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. The algae's shells are jagged and so it works mechanically, cutting up and drying out the exoskeleton of insects causing them to die. There are no chemicals in this method. Dust your home and bedding with the diatomaceous earth, leave it for two days and vacuum it up. Do this a few times over the span of a week and you'll rid your home and your pet of fleas. We've done this successfully for two flea infestations.
From the Organic Authority Files
3. Essential oils: Cats are tricky since their bodies don't metabolize essential oils well. But for dogs, flea repelling essential oils include lavender, citronella, peppermint, eucalyptus, cedar and lemongrass. Also, the Purificationessential oil or even a bug spray made with it can repel fleas. You can apply these directly to your dog's neck or to their collar. Or you can add a diffuser charm to your dog's collar to place the oils on and repel the fleas.
4. Lemon: Since cats are so sensitive to oils, you can create a sort of lemon juice wash instead. Place a thin lemon slice in water and bring it to a boil. Let it sit overnight. In the morning, use that lemon-infused water to spray your cat until damp, rubbing it in. Do this once a month. This works for dogs as well.
5. Rosemary flea wash: Add 2 cups of fresh rosemary to two pints of water. Boil for 30 minutes. Strain away the water and discard. Place the boiled leaves into a gallon of warm water. Pour this water over your pet.
Related on Organic Authority
3-Ingredient Bug Repellent Spray Recipe
Organic Bugbusters: Natural Repellents and Tips for your Garden Insect Problems
Smell Fantastic and be Bug-Bite Free: DIY Essential Oil Bug Repellent
Image: krissen via Compfightcc