For those of us with a yard, springtime means it’s time to clean up from the long, cold, rough winter. It’s time to prepare the garden, pick up all those tree branches littering the yard, rake the leaves out that were blown into flowerbeds and repair or remove fences that suffered damage during the winter.
You may also be planning a garden for the first time this season and need to put up a fence to help keep critters out (like: cats, deer, groundhogs and more). That’s why we’ve put together this handy guide of ideas for how to build sustainable fencing as well as ideas for repurposing fences that need to removed or replaced. It’s your springtime fencing resource.
Firstly, here are some tips, ideas and project for how to build a fence. If you are looking to build a fence, it’s probably a good idea to check with your local permitting office to see what is or is not allowed by local ordinances.
- Wattle Fence How-to - a great tutorial for how to build a wattle fence, which is fencing using old branches that are “woven” into fencing.
- Raised Bed and Wire Fencing - this tutorial shows you how to make raised beds for gardening and secure them with wire fencing.
- Privacy Fence - and for when you need more than just a garden enclosure.
- Decorative Fence - this is a great idea for using branches to create a decorative grill screen.
- Wire Fencing - when function is more important than form.
- Rabbit Silhouette Fence - just in time for Easter.
- Pallet Fence - use those repurposed pallets as fencing.
And here are some great ideas for repurposing fences that have to be removed.
From the Organic Authority Files
- Plank Wall - use that old fence to make a dramatic plank wall in your home.
- Plank Walkway - use old pallets or fence planks to create a garden walkway.
- Fence Post Art - get creative with old fence posts.
- Modern Bench - modern meets country with this project.
- Picket Fence Headboard - reuse a fence as a headboard.
- Bird Feeder - make a bird feeder from old fence planks.
- Pergola - create your own grape arbor from old fencing.
Related on Organic Authority
Image: Kevin Steinhardt