After a stressful day, it’s always nice to light few scented candles and sink into a soapy bath. Homemade candles bring intimacy and calm to any occasion, and can also be a wonderful DIY gift for the holidays.
They may smell delicious, but many store-bought scented candles are infused with artificial fragrance that can turn from pleasant to nauseating in a matter of minutes. This easy DIY project will teach you to make homemade candles with just three ingredients, one of which is essential oil – a natural way to introduce a pleasant scent. You can also leave the candle uncolored to keep the mix even more natural and earthy. Either way, learning how to make candles beats the store-bought versions any day.
The following tutorial will teach you how to make candles that set a festive, relaxing mood. Most of the ingredients and equipment can be found at your local craft store. When melting the parafin, make sure that the top pot that holds the wax is super cheap or one you can do without, as left-behind wax will stick and be hard to remove if not cleaned immediately, while still warm.
How to Make Candles That Smell Delicous
Makes 20 ounces
- 1 pound soy wax flakes
- 10-15 drops of essential oil(s) of choice
- Oil-based coloring
- Two metal tin, mason jars, tea cups, or any container that can withstand heat
- 2 wicks
- 2 pencils
How to make candles:
1. Place a wick at the center of each candle container, using tape to adhere it to the bottom to the center. Wrap the top of each wick around a pencil and place the pencils across the top of each container. This will keep the wicks in place while you pour the wax, and prevent them from becoming lopsided.
2. In a double broil over medium heat. Add the wax to the top pot and as it melts, stirring often.
3. Use the thermometer to measure the temperature of the melted paraffin. Once it reaches between 122 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit, add in your essential oil. Stir and then add the coloring. Stir again.
4. Once evenly combined, carefully pour the wax into the containers. Let cool in a calm place over a flat surface. Wait one day. Before using, cut the wick to desired height.
This article was updated October 28, 2013.
Related On Organic Authority:
Image Credit: IslandJoe