We’re big fans of everything homemade around here. From food to cleaning supplies to home décor and everything in between. Now, we have a fun project to give your Christmas ornaments a homemade twist. This tutorial uses just cinnamon sticks and repurposed cardboard to craft together some stylish homemade Christmas cinnamon ornaments.
Constructing these homemade cinnamon ornaments is a great way to use up those cinnamon sticks shoved in the back of your spice cupboard. (They probably long ago lost much of their flavor.) But you’ll probably need a few more than just what you have on hand. I supplemented what I found in my kitchen by buying 30 more cinnamon sticks at my local spice merchant. At six cinnamon sticks for $1, I thought that was a pretty good deal. I like shopping locally, but you could also find cinnamon sticks to make your homemade Christmas ornaments at craft stores.
What you’ll need:
- Cinnamon sticks (I used about 25 sticks for one ornament. If you make smaller ornaments, you'll get more out of your cinnamon sticks.)
- Mason jar lid (Or another circular item to trace.)
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
1. Start by finding a circular object to trace. I used a mason jar lid. As I mentioned earlier, if you want to make more ornaments, you'll need to find a smaller circle to trace.
I found that a mason jar lid worked well because I traced both the inside and outside circles, so it formed a wreath-like shape. I used the paperboard from a leftover cereal box, but I would recommend using a sturdier piece of cardboard.
2. After you trace your circular object, cut it out. It's easier if the object you use makes a wreath-like shape.
From the Organic Authority Files
3. My circle was less-than-perfect because I was in a hurry. I'm sure yours will be much prettier. It shouldn't matter too much though, because you'll just cover it up with the cinnamon sticks. Now, start hot glueing your cinnamon sticks around your cardboard circle. Try to use thicker cinnamon sticks as your base layer.
4. After you hot glue your first layer, fill in the gaps with skinnier cinnamon sticks. Use as many as you like to get the look you want.
5. Tie a pretty ribbon around your cinnamon stick ornament and you're done!
These cinnamon stick ornaments do more than just look pretty, they'll also add a nice scent of cinnamon spice to your tree. Happy crafting!
Photos by Kirsten Hudson
Related on Organic Authority: