Broccoli rabe often plays second fiddle to other foods – and that's a shame. Rich in both flavor and nutrients, this bitter crucifer just needs a few supporting seasonings to truly sing. In this crostini recipe, alongside creamy ricotta cheese and a kick from red pepper flakes, it finally takes the starring role. Your guests are sure to demand an encore performance!
Fewer than ten ingredients are needed to make this 15-minute morsel. First, fresh broccoli rabe is lightly sautéd in olive oil. Next, it's nestled atop a dollop of sweet ricotta on a slice of toasted French bread for contrast in both flavor and texture. Season to taste with red pepper flakes, lemon zest, or a pinch of sea salt for an even more sophisticated spin on this appetizer. Serve on a vibrant, colorful Made in Serving Dish, and this vitamin-rich, nutrient-dense hors d'oeuvre is ready for any event!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- French baguette, sliced
- Ricotta cheese (or any soft cheese)
- Lemon, juice, and zest (optional)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Roughly chop the broccoli rabe and slice the baguette into rounds. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. (To create an extra layer of flavor and texture, use a carbon steel or cast iron fry pan for optimal caramelization.) Add the broccoli rabe and season with salt and pepper. Cook to desired doneness: three to five minutes for al dente, or ten minutes for caramelized and golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Toast the baguette slices for 5 to 7 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Assemble toast with cheese, broccoli rabe, salt, and pepper. Top toast with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, lemon zest, and a light squeeze of lemon juice.
*Note! This article contains affiliate links that are independently sourced and vetted by our editorial team which we may earn a commission on. This helps us reduce the number of ads we serve on Organic Authority and help deliver you a better user experience. We are here to help you navigate the overwhelming world of consumer products to source and uncover thoughtfully made, conscious clean products.
Related on Organic Authority
4 Non-Toxic Cookware Brands to Keep Chemicals Out of Your Food
Made-In Cookware Brings Professional Quality to the Home Kitchen
How to Cook Brussels Sprouts and Love These Little Bites of Delight!