Learning how to make Mexican rice will benefit countless dinners to come. This vegan and gluten-free recipe uses wholesome ingredients to make this classic dish guilt-free.
Rice recipes can be tricky for a couple of reasons. The first and most challenging problem most home chefs run into is the liquid ratio. Too much liquid and you will end up with soggy rice. Too little liquid and your rice will be dry and burnt.
The second tricky part of making homemade rice is perfecting the texture. You can ensure perfectly fork tender and fluffy rice though by keeping an eye on it while it cooks. There have been many times where I walked away, assuming the rice would be fine but came back to find it burnt and stuck to the bottom of the pot.
Check your rice about five minutes before it’s supposed to be done. Use a fork to see if a grain of rice can be broken in half when pressing it against the side of the pot. If not, then keep cooking until the timer goes off.
While this Mexican rice recipe is more wholesome than the traditional variety, it’s just as delicious and tastes like it’s straight from your favorite restaurant. Add in frozen peas and carrots if you prefer your rice with a boost of veggies.
Don't forget to serve this Mexican rice alongside homemade refried beans to complete your meal!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 /2 cupServings
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 28 ounces jarred whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup white long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large stockpot. Add onion and sauté for about four to five minutes, until softened and translucent. Add tomatoes and sauté for three minutes.
- Scoop out the whole tomatoes and transfer to a food processor. Pulse until mostly smooth with a bit of texture remaining. Add puréed tomatoes back into the pot.
- Add rice, vegetable broth, and sea salt to the pot. Cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes. Remove lid and turn off heat.
- Let rice sit for about five minutes. Fluff with a fork and then serve immediately. Enjoy!