A bubbly, boozy drink that’s vegan and gluten-free, and just in time for summer! This fruit spritzer recipe with vodka is the perfect drink to sip poolside or to serve up at a party. With only four ingredients, this drink couldn’t be easier to make.
Buying The Ingredients
When choosing alcohol for a vegan drink recipe, it’s important to be selective. Many liquors are not vegan or are not made from gluten-free ingredients. Technically, once alcohol has been distilled, the gluten proteins are neutralized. But many, especially those who suffer from Celiac disease, still report symptoms after drinking such beverages. For this reason, I recommend choosing a vodka made from potatoes, corn, or even quinoa to make your fruit spritzer truly gluten-free.
FAIR vodka is made from vodka and is certified gluten-free, fair-trade, and reported to be vegan by the company. FAIR vodka is made from quinoa and following Fair Trade Organization’s protocol, is produced by workers who are paid at a fair price in good working conditions. Texas-based Tito’s Vodka is certified gluten-free and generally found easily at liquor stores and grocers. Boyd & Blair vodka is another certified gluten-free vodka brand and can be found in specialty stores, health food stores, and liquor stores.
When buying fruit for this fruit spritzer recipe, I recommend selecting organic strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries. Berries are on the Dirty Dozen list due to the pesticide residue found on those which were conventionally farmed. By buying organic berries, you'll skip the pesticides and enjoy the natural, sweet flavors.
As for the club soda, you can be more lenient since it's only made from carbonated water and minerals. It’s a much healthier alternative to tonic water which is sweetened and high in calories. The club soda could be swapped with sparkling water in a pinch.
- Prep Time
- Mint, one small handful
- 1- liter club soda or sparkling water
- 1 cup gluten-free vodka
- 2 cups mixed berries of choice
- 4 limes juiced
- 2-3 tablespoons of honey or your favorite natural sweetener
- Sliced lemons and limes for garnish
- Muddle the mint in a bowl or jar, or simply crush and roughly chop (but not too fine) to release its oils
- Add mint, club soda, vodka, limes, and sweetener to a large pitcher. Stir until well combined. Add in fruit and stir again. Serve over ice to enjoy immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready. Garnish with a lime or lemon. Enjoy!