Veganize your enchilada cravings by trying these healthy enchilada sauce recipes!
The first recipe is for red enchilada sauce which tastes amazing when paired with pinto beans, sauteed onions, and fresh guacamole. The second recipe is for green sauce, a classic which pairs perfectly with a black bean filling and a cashew cheese topping. The key to the sauce is using fresh tomatillos which are mild yet flavorful. Both recipes are wholesome, plant-based, and gluten-free! Try making this with homemade vegetable broth for an added health bonus. If you do choose store-bought broth, make sure you select low-sodium and organic.
- Cook Time
- 1 batch of sauceServings
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour use gluten-free all purpose or rice flour to make GF
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Heat the oil and flour over medium heat. Whisk together to form a roux. Add spices and tomato paste and whisk again.
- Slowly add in the vegetable broth, whisking as you go. Continue whisking until smooth. Let simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Pour the sauce over enchiladas and bake for 20-30 minutes.