Switching from refined to whole grains is one of the best health moves you can make in your organic diet, as the latter offers great taste, variety and a host of health benefits.
“Whole grains may help reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes, so they are beneficial for everyone,” says registered dietitian and chef Michele Powers. “For people managing conditions such as diabetes, obesity and high cholesterol, research shows that choosing whole grains is a simple lifestyle change that makes a big impact.”
Here are eight ways to bring whole-grain rice to the dinner table, courtesy of Uncle Ben’s:
- Substitute. Instead of pasta, add whole-grain rice to soup or casseroles.
- Salad Spin. Use whole-grain rice in marinated grain salads.
- Stuff Your Vegetables. Use whole-grain rice as a base for stuffed vegetables: bell peppers, zucchini, portobello mushrooms, eggplant, tomatoes and artichokes. (Tune in Friday for a great recipe.)
- Combine Food Groups. Add whole-grain rice to homemade meatballs for extra flavor and fiber.
- Lower the Fat. To make a lower-fat quiche, substitute cooked brown rice for the pie crust.
- Create a Pilaf. Cook brown rice in low-sodium broth, and add toasted nuts and dried fruit.
- Mix-and-Match. Mix brown and white rice to introduce your children to whole grains.
- Make a Whole-Grain Dessert. Add whole-grain rice to puddings for a tasty dessert.