Watch the Winter Turkey Pot Pie Video.
This turkey pot pie recipe is great to make with your leftover turkey from the holidays! When you shop for your holiday dinner, go ahead and pick up the ingredients for this recipe so you have everything you need.
Serves 4-6 people
1 pound of boneless, organic leftover turkey meat cut into 1 inch dice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoons of organic butter
1/2 cup small-diced yellow onion
1/2 cup small-diced carrot
1/2 cup small-diced turnip
1/2 cup chopped leek
3 cups assorted wild mushrooms (such as shiitake, hedgehog and black trumpets) sliced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups turkey or chicken stock (store bought or homemade)
1 tablespoon of fresh organic thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon, fresh organic flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (or white wine or brandy)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 bay leaf
salt – kosher or sea salt to taste
pepper – fresh cracked to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 large egg, beaten
1 package of organic puff pastry dough or fillo (phyllo) dough (follow instructions on package for defrosting fillo dough)
1/3 cup of butter melted
Prepare the filling:
- Heat olive oil in large, heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot, turnip, leek and wild mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until vegetables are tender over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add flour and stir, cook for one minute.
- Add the turkey stock, herbs, vinegar and cream.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Cool filling.
Preparation of Pot Pie:
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine egg, thyme and fresh sage in a small bowl.
- Brush 4-5 sheets of fillo dough with melted butter on a flat surface and line a deep dish pie pan with buttered dough.
- Fill pie dish with the pot pie filling and cover with 8-10 sheets of buttered fillo dough.
- Crimp and tuck edges of dough into dish. Brush with herb egg mixture.
- Bake the pot pie for 40-45 minutes until top is golden brown and interior is hot and bubbly.
You can substitute chicken, lamb or pork for turkey meat. If you don’t want to buy or can’t find shiitake mushrooms, use brown crimini mushrooms or button mushrooms. Use as many organic ingredients you can find for optimum flavor. Additionally, you can easily eliminate the meat and use vegetable stock in place of turkey stock to make this dish vegetarian and add a few green vegetables, like broccoli, peas etc..
Watch the Winter Turkey Pot Pie Video
Check out these related Videos, Recipes and Articles
- Watch the Winter Turkey Pot Pie video
- Another great comfort food recipe is Fondue Mac and Cheese video here on OATV
- A great side dish with this recipe is Smashed Potatoes and Celery Root with Chives recipe
Check out all of our Eco Fun Recipe Videos!