Both podcasts and food are having a moment right now, and their intersection is quite wonderful. No matter whether you consider yourself a foodie who likes to cook, a foodie who likes to eat, or both, food podcasts are where it’s at.
Podcasts have been around for a some time now, but they're finally gaining momentum outside the tech world. Since the "Serial" podcast went more mainstream--podcasts are taken as serious entertainment these days.
And food, well food has always been popular, and it’s an even bigger star nowadays as almost everyone styles themselves as either a wannabe chef or a serious Insta-eater. From local food movements, cooking reality shows, and Michael Pollan’s books, people are talking about, watching, cooking, and eating with more focus than ever. Throw podcasts into the mix and things have been kicked up a notch, as Emeril would say.
So, which are the best podcasts about food?
From the Organic Authority Files
We have compiled a list of some of our favorite food podcasts including how-to cooking guides to more on the food appreciation scale of things. Enjoy!
5 of Our Favorite Food Podcasts
- The Sporkful - The Sporkful touts that’s it not for foodies, but is for eaters instead. And it pretty much holds itself to its own unpretentious motto with a look at topics ranging from a discussion about whether vanilla is a flavor and a whole series looking at the cultural issues surrounding the foods we eat.
- The Splendid Table - This podcast had its start as a radio show back in 1994. Hosted by Lynne Rossetto Kasper, the show is self-described as being “for people who love to eat." It’s not just a show for talking about recipes, although that happens, but where everything else behind the recipes is fair game too.
- Gastropod - This podcast looks at food through the lens of science and history. Each episode features the hidden history and science behind a different topic--from aquaculture to ancient feasts, from cutlery to chile peppers, and from microbes to Malbec.
- Burnt Toast - Burnt Toast is newer to the scene than some of these other podcasts. This is a podcast for topics that don’t make it onto the Food 52 website for one reason or another, so if you like that site you will love this podcast--and we do.
- Food is the New Rock - This podcast is nothing but fun and brings the worlds of music and food together. The hosts talk food and music with musicians and talk music and food with food people. It’s irreverent and great to listen to while cooking up a nice dinner.
Related on Organic Authority
Woman Cooking Image from Shutterstock