A wise Irish poet named Oscar Wilde once said: “Everything in moderation, including moderation.” He probably was talking about adult milkshake recipes.
A perfectly balanced life can be perfectly boring - everyone needs to indulge themselves now and again. Combine the best of childhood delights with adult pleasures when you try these decadent adult milkshake recipes. Featuring a frothy blend of cold ice cream and hot spirits, these premium treats are perfect for a sunny summer afternoon, warm evening with friends, or cozy movie night with the one you love.
You’ll find organic ice cream at your local health food store; look for Julie’s Organic Ice Cream, Three Twins Ice Cream or Alden’s Ice Cream. Use premium ice cream – the cheap stuff is full of blended air, which sadly deflates when blended. For best results, use whole milk and let your ice cream soften at room temperature for five minutes prior to scooping. And you can always add more alcohol for an extra kick.
Each recipe makes two milkshakes.
1. The Girl Scout Cookie: Mimicking the rich flavors of the beloved Thin Mint, this recipe is for grown-up girls (and boys) who like the tongue-tingling combination of dark chocolate and mint. In a blender, add ¾ cup milk and three tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder. Blend well, then add two cups of dark chocolate ice cream, ½ cup mint chip ice cream, one ounce blanco tequila, one ounce peppermint schnapps and 16 Thin Mint or Grasshopper cookies. Blend until smooth, pour into two chilled glasses, and top with whipped cream and crumbled cookies for garnish.
2. Tropical Piña Colada Milkshake: It’s easy to imagine yourself on a tropical getaway with a piña colada milkshake in your hand. Blend together 20 ounces (1 ½ pounds) of fresh or frozen pineapple chunks, two cups of vanilla ice cream, 1/3 cup cream of coconut and two ounces of dark rum. Pour into chilled glasses, and garnish with toasted coconut and/or pineapple slices.
3. The Evening Kick-Off: Combining caffeine, chocolate and vodka, this tempting milkshake is the perfect start to a night on the town. In a blender, add two cups of chocolate ice cream, one ounce coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlua), one ounce whipped cream flavored vodka and one teaspoon of espresso powder (instant coffee will also work). Blend well, pour into two chilled glasses and top with whipped cream. Garnish with chocolate-covered espresso beans and/or a dusting of espresso powder.
From the Organic Authority Files
4. Peach Pie Party Shake: Featuring a stout shot of bourbon, this delicious shake tastes like a blended pie of peach pie. Add together in a blender three cups of vanilla ice cream, two tablespoons of peach preserves, two ounces of bourbon, one teaspoon cinnamon and two ripe peaches, peeled and in chunks. Blend until the mixture is smooth, pour into chilled glasses and top with whipped cream and a slice of fresh peach for garnish.
5. Chocolate Banana Booze Heaven: No combination is more divine than chocolate and banana – until you add vodka. Blend together two frozen bananas, peeled and chunked, with one cup of chocolate ice cream, two ounces whipped cream flavored vodka and ¼ cup whipped cream. Blend until smooth and garnish with whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup and slices of fresh banana.
Party pro advice: Be sure to drink plenty of water with these adult beverages. Their high sugar content can lead to heinous hangovers if you over-indulge.
Related on Organic Authority
image: sj pinkney