Can you believe it’s already October? Seriously. At OA that means one glorious thing (at least): It’s time to break out the blankets along with your soup and stew recipes to get you through the chilly seasons. Ready to add a new soup or stew to your “favorites” list? Check out one of the recipes below to make mealtime oh-so delightful while keeping the chilly weather at bay.
White Bean Soup via Yoga Journal
This vegetarian soup is so easy to make, and it’s thick and creamy without added fat. Serve this hearty soup with a green saladand toasted, crunchy bread for a filling meal.
(Makes 6 servings)
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large baking potato (8 oz.), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried white kidney beans (cannellini), soaked to create 3 cups
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- In food processor, mince garlic. Add onion and pulse until finely chopped. Remove to plate. Add carrots to food processor and coarsely chop.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion mixture and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in diced potato and 1 1/2 cups broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- In food processor, puree half the beans, adding a little remaining broth to thin. Add bean puree, remaining whole beans and remaining cup of broth to potato mixture in saucepan. Stir well and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, salt and pepper and serve.
Chicken Barley Soup with Walnut Pesto via Cooking Light
This soup takes a traditional dish and gives it a twist with the addition of a dollop of Swiss chard pesto. It’s also got a bit of a kick thanks to an added habanero pepper. If you prefer your soup a bit milder, use a jalapeño pepper instead.
Lentil Soup from 101 Cookbooks
Hearty, low in fat and cholesterol and filled with protein, lentils have been referred to as the “perfect food.” Give this lentil soup recipe a try. It’s easy to adapt using ingredients you have on hand and it’s suggested you make a big batch to enjoy the leftovers!
Beef Stew with Winter Vegetables from Wolfgang Puck
Vegetarian Split Pea Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons via thekitchn
Doesn’t everyone love a good batch of split pea soup? This version uses easily accessible ingredients that help turn this soup into a taste from the past. The croutons are definitely an added bonus!
Looking for more comforting soup and stew recipes? Check out some Organic Authority favorites:
Image: Back to the Cutting Board