Aging is inevitable, but are wrinkles? While a certain amount of wrinkles seems a foregone conclusion, what about all those over-50 folks you see who have limited wrinkling? What is their secret? While genetics certainly plays a very big role, a large part of the equation has to do with how you treat your skin--and your body. Learn how to prevent wrinkles with these natural skin care tips.
How to Prevent Wrinkles Naturally
- Drink Water - Drinking enough water is good for your health and good for your skin. Water keeps your skin hydrated and healthy. According to the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, getting in at least eight glasses of water a day is necessary in helping to rid the body and skin of toxins. Drinking enough water can also lead to a healthy and radiant glow and is just about the easiest natural skin care tip I can share with you. Also, choosing water means you are probably eschewing soda and other sugary drinks that do nothing (good) for your skin!
- Moisturize Naturally - Growing up I had very oily skin. I hated it, but my grandmother always told me that one day I would appreciate my oily skin. I didn’t understand what she meant until I turned 40. As we age, our skin becomes drier and wrinkles can develop. The key is to add moisture back into your skin. You could do that with expensive creams that contain some super scary ingredients, or you could use natural moisturizing oils. My favorites are coconut and olive oil. Both are great for removing eye make-up, and I use a homemade olive oil and sugar rub in the shower at least once a week. I also rub a little coconut oil on my face a couple of times a week before bed. It makes my skin super soft and full of moisture.
- Don’t Strip Your Skin - According to WebMD, washing with tap water strips skin of its natural oils, which can hasten the effects of aging. While I am not advocating giving up showering completely, it is likely you could cut down on the amount of showers you take. In addition to cutting down on washing, you could also try using a less astringent face wash. For the ultimate in natural skin care, I use honey to wash my face. Honey is naturally antibacterial and antifungal, and it won’t strip your skin like harsh face washes can.
- Avoid Sun Damage - This is by far the most important thing you can do for you skin. Sun damage is one of the biggest threats to keeping your skin wrinkle-free, in addition to raising your risk of skin cancer. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, more than 90 percent of the visible changes commonly attributed to skin aging are caused by the sun. There’s not much you can do about past sun exposure, but you can make a difference moving forward. Wear a hat, avoid sun exposure when the sun rays are the strongest, use sunscreen, and keep your skin covered whenever possible.
- Go Makeup-Free - One super easy way to implement natural skin care for warding off wrinkles is by going makeup free as much as possible. The tugging, pulling, and stretching you do while applying makeup and removing it can be rough on your skin--especially the delicate skin around your eyes. Also, not removing all your makeup at night can lead to buildup that may accentuate wrinkles. Consider going makeup free at least a couple of times a week.
Related on Organic Authority
From the Organic Authority Files
Image: Woman in Mirror via Shutterstock