Are you planning your next vacation and wondering which destinations are the healthiest countries in the world? Bloomberg recently released its 2017 Global Health Index, which ranks 163 countries on numerous factors including:
- Life expectancy
- Mental health
- Availability of clean water.
- Infant mortality
- Tobacco and alcohol use.
- High Blood Pressure
- Greenhouse gas emissions.
- Physical activity
- Causes of death.
Visit one of the countries near the top of the list – or simply adopt some of their cultural behaviors right here at home. And in case you’re wondering, the United States came through at #34 on the Bloomberg Global Health Index, just between Costa Rica and Croatia. Canada ranked 17th and the U.K. comes in at 23rd.
The 9 Healthiest Countries in the World
1. Italy – Thanks to a laid-back lifestyle and Mediterranean diet, Italians rank highest on health and life expectancy. Adopt the fresh food approach and base your diet on fruits, vegetables, fish, lean meats, and extra virgin olive oil. Don’t forget the occasional espresso and glass of red wine.
2. Iceland – Being active is a way of life in Iceland, a Nordic island with a dramatic landscape that begs you to hike, bike, kayak, and explore. A wide variety of fish and seafood make up an important part of the Icelander’s normal diet.
3. Switzerland – An abundance of fresh mountain air and an excellent healthcare system land the Swiss in third place. Switzerland is also ranked as one of the happiest countries in the world. Time for an Alpine adventure?
From the Organic Authority Files
4. Singapore – People stay active in this sparkling city-state, a tropical island that is known for its multicultural population and amazingly diverse culinary scene. Perhaps variety is the spice of health as well as life.
5. Australia – Aussie love to spend time outdoors in their country’s larger-than-life landscapes, which include epic surf breaks, stunning mountain ranges, and endless coastal trails. Australia also boasts an outstanding health care system.
6. Spain – Afternoon siestas, evening strolls, and late-night dinners add up to greater health in this sunny country, which also features a fresh, Mediterranean-based cuisine. More tapas, please!
7. Japan – From sashimi to matcha green tea, the Japanese diet is designed for health and longevity. Seafood including seaweed looms large on most menus, along with fermented foods like miso.
8. Sweden – Wholesome living is easy in this Scandinavian country, where foraging for mushrooms and berries is a popular pastime. Swedes enjoy a diet based on healthy root vegetables, rye grain, and fatty fish like herring and salmon.
9. Israel – Discover a phenomenal food scene in this Middle Eastern country, and expect to see an Israeli restaurant open near you soon. Mediterranean foods feature widely in the country’s fusion cuisine, including eggplants, tomatoes, and olive oil.
Related on Organic Authority