You see all sorts of magazine articles and blog posts on shrinking your skin pores. There are plenty of products claiming to tighten them up to practically invisible. But here’s the deal: you can’t actually change the size of your pores. You can, however, make them appear smaller and more refined.
It starts in the early teen years. The idea that we must shrink our pores. Whether you deal with blackheads or full-blown cystic acne--even those without acne seek a refined-looking complexion.
First, let’s talk about why pores look enlarged. When pores become filled with oil, makeup, or debris, they appear darkened and larger. Until pores are cleared, any amount of coverage is eventually going to end up showing the tiny black dots. Then there are those born with larger, more apparent pores. This skin type is often thicker and more oily than those with smaller pores.
Second, you must get okay with not being able to physically shrink your pores. Stop wasting your money and time on pore tightening toners and shrinking serums. Unless they are doing other fabulous things for your skin, get rid of them and don’t look back. If you were born with large pores or are battling clogged pores, keeping skin clean and clear is your best defense against super obvious black spots.
6 Ways to Make Skin Pores Look Smaller
1. Cleanse for pH Balance: When the skin’s pH balance is off, it can cause dryness, acne, and premature aging. Dry skin also leads to clogged pores and blemishes. Cleansers and toners made with natural, plant-based ingredients clear pores without stripping away natural oils. Try Acure Organics Facial Cleansing Gel for a thorough yet gentle cleanse and Acure Organics Facial Toner (made with witch hazel, plus soothing leaf and floral extracts) to balance oil.
2. Exfoliate: If it seems like exfoliation is the answer to all skin woes, that’s sort of true. Regular, gentle exfoliation keeps skin clear and healthy. When dead skin cells become trapped in pores, it makes pores appear larger. Find out which type of exfoliation benefits your skin most and partake one to two times each week.
From the Organic Authority Files
3. Steam: Congested pores appear larger, so it is helpful to get those little suckers as clean as possible. Using facial teas to steam your skin clears pores and gives a tightening effect. Plus, this ritual feels super indulgent and soothing. A practice you will likely look forward to performing.
4. Mask: Once skin is clean, a mask can further promote the look of smaller pores. Pai Skincare Copaiba Deep Cleansing AHA Mask draws out impurities, unclogs pores, and gives skin a clear, healthy appearance. Calming clay means this product won’t cause irritation.
5. Use Sunscreen: Sun damage causes premature aging. The lax skin tone that accompanies aging skin makes pores appear larger. One of the best ways to prevent this is by using sunscreen every day. Make it a part of your morning routine. Haven’t found a mineral sunscreen you love? Check our guide for sunscreens to suit every skin type and need.
6. Skin Primer: If you are breaking out and have clogged pores, a skin primer may make your situation worse. But if you are looking to minimize naturally large pores and have relatively clear skin, try a primer to even skin tone and refine skin’s surface. Alima Pure Smooth + Prime minimizes the appearance of pores, balances oil and shine, and sets the stage for long lasting coverage.
*Disclaimer: Help support Organic Authority! Our site is dedicated to helping people live a conscious lifestyle. We’ve provided some affiliate links above in case you wish to purchase any of these products.
Related on Organic Authority
Natural Skincare Products for Perfect Skin at Every Age
Benefits of Sea Salt That Spice Up Skin and Hair
Food Intolerance and Your Skin: Does What You Eat Show Up On Your Face?