Hairspray is expensive and chockfull of chemical ingredients - straight up (and let's not even get started with aerosol)! But we've got a super subversive secret that's going to change the way you look at hairspray forever...
... and it is: You only need two ingredients (and you undoubtedly already have them) to make a hairspray that's as good as anything you'll ever spend twenty buck on (or more). What are they? Sugar and water!
It's true. If you find the right combination of sugar-to-water for your hair, you'll never need to buy haispray again. We've added a couple fun - albeit optional - ingredients to this seemingly too-good-to-be-true recipe for homemade hairspray. Start here, but keep in mind, you may need to do a little bit of adjusting until you find the ratio that works best for you (maybe only 3 teaspoons of sugar for super fine hair or 5 for uber coarse hair...).
Give this a whirl, and let us know what you think. We think you'll be astonished at how well it works, and how incredibly simple it is.
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup hot purified water
- 1 tablespoon vodka (optional, acts as a preservative)
- 3-5 drops essential oil of your choice for a delicious scent
- Spray bottle (look for one that produces a fine mist)
- Heat your water in a saucepan to just under a boil.
- Dissolve your sugar in the hot water, stirring thoroughly.
- Add the vodka.
- Add your essential oil(s)
- Pour your hairspray into your spray bottle, and you're ready to go
Love this? You might also be into our Homemade Pomade that Rocks. It Rocks.
image: Hernan Irastorza