There's nothing quite like a back massage to end a long day. Not all of us have the luxury of a personal masseuse (or willing spouse) to knead out tight and sore spots. But that's no reason to give up on the cause altogether. Instead, fetch two tennis balls and one sock and feel the power that three simple household items can truly be.
The following technique helps to realign the spine, loosen muscles, and relax the body. All you need are two tennis balls, a long sock, and something to tie the open end of the sock together.
DIY Independent Back Massage
1. Take the tennis balls and slip them into a sock. Tie the open end of the sock closed so that the tennis balls are directly next to each other and stay tightly in place.
2. Take a hot shower or bath to loosen your muscles.
3. Stretch from side to side, up and down.
4. Lie on your back and relax your body.
5. Slip the sock under your lower back so that one tennis ball is on the left, and the other is on the right, with your spine running between them.
6. Breathe in for eight counts and out for eight counts, keeping your body relaxed.
7. Adjust your body slightly downward so that the balls move further up your spine. Stop and breathe deeply until you feel the muscles relax under you. Repeat this until you reach your neck and then begin to work the balls down your spine.
8. Continue the massage process for up to 20 minutes, or until you feel loosened.
Photo Credit: Horia Varlan