Mason jars are all the rage right now and with good reason, they make everything look so darn adorable. Especially this mini strawberry shortcake recipe, perfect for Labor Day Weekend. Wanna impress your friends? Bring this impressive mini strawberry shortcake recipe to the party.
Mini Strawberry Shortcake Recipe in Mason Jars
10 egg whites
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cake flour
For the roasted strawberries:
2 lbs. strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and halved
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
For the whipped cream:
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
8 mason jars
1. To make the lemon angel food cake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a bundt cake pan with butter and flour.
3. Using an electric mixer, combine egg whites, cream of tartar, salt, lemon zest, vanilla, and beat on high until stiff peaks form.
4. Beat on low, add sugar, and mix until combined.
From the Organic Authority Files
5. Gradually add in flour and fold in.
6. Add to a baking dish and bake in a preheated oven for 33-38 minutes.
7. To roast the strawberries. Preheat oven to 375. Combine strawberries, sugar, and vanilla. Roast for 30 minutes on a cookie sheet.
8. To make whipped cream, using an electric mixer, beat heavy cream with powdered sugar, until soft peaks form.
9. To assemble, open mason jars and set up on the counter. Cut angel food cake into chunks. Evenly distribute half of the cake among 8 mason jars.
10. Top cake with strawberries, about 2 tablespoons in each jar. Top strawberries with 2 tablespoons whipped cream. Repeat the process once more.
11. If you’re not serving immediately, put the lids back on the mason jars and refrigerate.
Recipe: Greens & Chocolate
Related on Organic Authority
Image: Kelly McCarthy