Summer is a season of abundance (read: lots of zucchini). Reap the summer squash bounty and turn it into loaves of decadent (yet, seriously healthy) chocolate zucchini bread.
This zucchini bread ticks off all the boxes. It’s loaded with chocolate goodness in every bite, it’s gluten-free, Paleo-friendly, can even be made vegan by substituting flax eggs for organic eggs – and it contains a vegetable!
Total baked good win.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread Ingredients
This zucchini bread is made up of simple, kitchen pantry essentials including nut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, coconut oil, coconut powder, cocoa powder, and dark chocolate chunks.
Using coconut flour not only keeps this recipe gluten-free, but it adds fiber, healthy fats, and protein. Coconut flour is best used in small amounts with the addition of liquid to provide moisture to the baked good. In this recipe, coconut flour is used alongside of organic eggs. Feel free to swap organic eggs with flax eggs for a vegan option.
This zucchini bread also has a base of creamy and flavorful nut butter to provide moisture and texture to the loaf. Use whichever nut butter you have on hand including peanut butter, cashew butter, or almond butter – or even a combination of all three. Just make sure to use a nut butter than does not contain any added oils, sugars, or salt, as that will influence the texture and taste of the final loaf.
Who knew chocolate and zucchini were such a delicious combination? This zucchini bread is made mouthwatering with the addition of cocoa powder and chocolate chunks or chocolate chips. Look for a cocoa powder without any other added ingredients (sugar, artificial flavors) and one that is organic and fair-trade, if possible.
The same goes for dark chocolate. Purchase dark chocolate chips (80 percent cocoa, or more) or a bar of dark chocolate and break it up into chunks. If keeping the recipe plant based, be mindful of dairy commonly found in chocolate.
Add sweetness to this chocolate zucchini bread with maple syrup. Look for a 100 percent bottle of pure organic maple syrup, made without any added sweeteners, artificial flavors, or other mystery ingredients.
These delicious ingredients are combined with shredded zucchini to create one delicious, hearty, chocolate-loaded loaf of bread perfect for summer mornings.
This recipe is adapted from Monique’s chocolate chip zucchini bread of Ambitious Kitchen
- 1 cup packed shredded zucchini about 2 small zucchini
- ¾ cup creamy unsalted cashew or peanut butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 eggs or flax eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chunks or chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8x4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper, or grease lightly with coconut oil.
- Shred zucchini using a cheese grater and use paper towels or a kitchen towel to ring out excess water – zucchini are watery!
- To a blender add zucchini, nut butter, maple syrup, and eggs. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add in coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt and blend for a few seconds more, or until mixture is combined. Pour into a bowl and stir in ½ cup of chocolate chunks.
- Pour zucchini bread batter into lined or greased loaf tin. Top with remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chunks.
- Bake zucchini bread for 45-50 minutes, or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes to cool before removing from loaf tin. Slice and serve – enjoy!