This is a simple, yet delicious turkey. If you are short on time and want an easy turkey recipe, this is or you!
Top turkey tips: When roasting a turkey, figure 12 minutes per pound for a 15-pound unstuffed turkey. If you decide to stuff the turkey add about 5 minutes more per pound. Rotate the bird one third of the way through cooking time, starting with breast side up, then rotate breast side down, then finish breast side up. This will help distribute the juices evenly throughout the bird to help keep it moist.
Fresh Herb Butter:
4-5 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
Watch OATV Video on how to make this Turkey!
1 14-16 pound turkey (preferably heritage), rinsed with warm water, patted dry inside and out; neck, heart and gizzard reserved for Quick & Easy Turkey Stock
4 fresh thyme sprigs
8 fresh sage sprigs
4 fresh rosemary sprigs
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups Quick & Easy Turkey Stock (see recipe)
2 tablespoons of reserved fat from roast turkey
1/2 cup chopped shallots
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 1/4 cups Quick & Easy Turkey Stock (see recipe)
1 1/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
Fresh Herb Butter:
- With machine running, drop garlic down feed tube of processor and chop.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Pulse, blending to coarse paste.
- Transfer to small bowl.
- Two or three days ahead season bird inside and out with salt and pepper.
- When ready to cook pull turkey out one hour before putting it in the oven to bring to room temperature (it will cook more evenly).
- Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 400° F.
- Spread over cavity 2 tablespoons fresh herb butter.
- Fill cavity with fresh herb sprigs.
- Starting at neck end, use a paring knife, to loosen skin between skin and meat of breast, thighs and upper drumsticks. Spread remaining butter between meat and skin over thighs, drumsticks, and breast meat. Finish by spreading remaining butter over the whole bird and salt and pepper to taste.
- Tie legs loosely to hold shape. Tuck wing tips under.
- Place turkey on rack, breast side up in large heavy roasting pan. If you don't have a rack cushion bird with a bed of herb branches.
- Pour 2 cups stock into pan. Roast turkey for one third of cooking time breast side up (about 1 hour for a 3 pound bird).
After one third of cooking time has passed, lower temperature to 350°, and flip turkey breast side down & baste turkey.
- Roast breast side down for the middle third, and flip breast side up for final third. Baste a couple of times during the final third of cook time.
- Roast until thermometer inserted into fattest part of the breast, and deep into the thigh registers 160° F about 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven, tent with foil and let it rest for 20-30 minutes before you carve it. The internal temperature will continue to rise 5-10 degrees.
Fresh Herb Gravy:
- Using a wooden spoon, scrape browned bits and juices from roasting pan into large glass measuring cup or fat separator. Spoon off fat and reserve 2 tablespoons.
- Heat roasting pan over a medium flame and add 2 tablespoons of reserved fat.
- Add shallots; sauté 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add flour, cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk until it smells nutty (you are cooking off the flour taste)
- Whisk in 3 cups stock, wine, and degreased pan juices, bring to boil, whisking constantly.
- Cook to desired consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in rosemary and sage; season to taste with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, strain sause to remove any lumps.
Note: Because you follow an organic lifestyle, OrganicAuthority.com recommends using certified organic ingredients, when available, in all recipes to maximize quality, flavors and nutrition while minimizing your risk of exposure to pesticides, chemicals and preservatives. Have fun!
Check out these related Videos, Recipes and Articles
- Check Out the Organic Turkey video
- Check out this great list of Turkey Recipes that you will love.
- Check Out the Roasted Split Organic Turkey with Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
- Check Out the Organic Turkey Stock Recipe
- Check Out the Quick & Easy Turkey Stock video
- Check Out the Turkey Carcass Turkey Stock recipe
- Check Out the Turkey Carcass Turkey Stock video
- Check Out the Fresh Herb Turkey Gravy recipe
- Check Out the Fresh Herb Turkey Gravy video
- Check Out the Roast Duck Recipe
- Check Out the Smashed Potatoes and Celery Root with Chives recipe
Check out all of our Eco Fun Recipe Videos!