Welcome to this week's installment of From Our Friends, our weekly roundup where we highlight some of our favorite posts from the past week and more from our friends and partners around the web. This week's edition includes articles on the courage of a professional surfer, ingredients to avoid in dish soap, leafless salad recipes, yin yoga, the memory boosting power of herbs and what we should do about the increase in road traffic.
1. Pro surfer Bethany Hamilton is quite the inspiration. At just 13, she lost her arm in a shark attack while surfing. With much courage and determination, Bethany got back on her board and continues to surf today. To read more of her inspiring story, visit Experience Life.
2. When you wash dishes, you are hoping to actually clean your dishes, not rinse them with chemicals. Many traditional dish soaps contain ingredients that are actually harmful. Check out MightyNest for a list of 11 ingredients to avoid when shopping for your dish soap.
3. Salad is often made with lots of leafy greens but sometimes it is fun to mix it up! Does a shaved asparagus and avocado salad sound delicious? Find that recipe and 6 more leafless salads on Blisstree.
4. Today, there are tons of yoga options. One type of yoga is yin yoga, a practice that focuses on moving deeper into poses. Yin yoga, unlike traditional yoga, embraces gravity as a tool to fully experience each pose. Check out YogiTimes for more about yin yoga and other yoga practices!
5. Feel like you are forgetting something? You might have forgotten that herbs can help memory performance! If you're hoping to remember that last item on your mental to do list, head over to The Organic Whey to see which herbs can give your brain a boost.
6. A recent report stated that with more people rejoining the workforce there are more cars are on the road, and that means more traffic. Don't enjoy rush hour? Explore what we should be doing instead of sitting in gridlock on Ecosalon.
You can follow Spencer on Twitter @SpencerKent