Looking for new ways to enjoy that gorgeous basil you’ve got on display in your windowsill? How about the mint that’s running amuck in the planter on your patio? You’re already having pesto with dinner every night, and chopping fresh herbs into every salad for lunch! But there’s one place you can enjoy your bounty that you may not have fully explored yet: Breakfast. Whether you’re trying to go through your summer harvest or simply find new ways to enliven your menus, here are 6 breakfast recipe ideas for using fresh herbs.
- Yogurt/breakfast parfait: Layer your favorite granola and yogurt (and perhaps some fresh berries) in a tall cup or bowl, and top with minced fresh herbs. Herbs to try: basil, mint, sage, thyme
- Soft buttered bread: Take sliced, untoasted bread of choice (black bread, pumpernickel, or sourdough are great choices) and spread softened, salted butter over the top. Layer with fresh herbs and thinly sliced tomato, radishes, avocados, or other vegetable desired. Herbs to try: dill, basil, parsley, tarragon
- Hash/scramble: Prep your go-to hash or scramble as usual (potatoes, eggs, veggies …) but before you cook it, add into the mix ½ to 1 cup of finely chopped fresh herbs for a green and lively kick. When done cooking, sprinkle the finished dish with another small handful of the same—or different—herbs for color and freshness. Herbs to try: basil, cilantro, parsley
- Fruit cup: Make a refreshing fruit cup by tossing together finely chopped fresh herbs, a drizzle of honey, splash of lemon juice, and dash of cinnamon. Herbs to try: mint, rosemary, basil, lavender, thyme
- Breakfast “caprese” eggs: Slice a fresh tomato and avocado, and arrange on a serving plate. Top with a gently fried egg and chopped up buttered toast (optional, but it soaks up the egg yolk deliciously!). Drizzle with olive oil, and season gently with salt and pepper. Scatter loosely chopped fresh herbs over the top and serve. Herbs to try: basil
- Fill-in-the-blank smoothie: Prepare any vegetable or fruit smoothie as usual, but add into the mix a few handfuls of fresh herbs. Herbs to try: basil, cilantro, parsley, mint, tarragon
What are your favorite breakfast recipe ideas that use fresh herbs?
From the Organic Authority Files
Related on Organic Authority