Energize your life this year by planning an active vacation to an epic domestic destination or an overseas adventure travel hotspot.
For some people, vacation is all about pure relaxation and escape – which definitely has its benefits. But for others, the idea of flopping on a beach and doing nothing for days just creates a feeling of restlessness and even anxiety.
Are You an Active Traveler?
Adventure travel might be right for you if:
- You love chilling on the beach – for a few hours – and then you’re ready to go.
- You like to challenge yourself.
- You actually feel more relaxed when you are doing something than when you are “relaxing.”
- You enjoy trying new things.
- Spending a day on the couch watching movies just makes you feel “blah” – in fact, it rarely ever happens.
- Where others dream of luxury, you dream of adventure.
Sound familiar? You can see the world, or you can bike, hike, raft, trek, and snorkel it. Check out our favorite domestic and overseas adventure travel hotspots and put your next vacation on the calendar today.
5 Active Vacations to Plan Today
- Hike Glacier National Park – You don’t have to travel abroad for epic mountain scenery and awe-inspiring wilderness. Situated in northwestern Montana and carved out by glaciers, this legendary National Park is one of the most stunning in the country and features more than 700 miles of hiking trails. Cycling on the Going-to-the-Sun Road is also a popular activity.
- Bike Vietnam – Long and relatively flat, Vietnam is the perfect country for an adventure on two wheels. Vibrant green rice paddies, lush jungles, and inviting beaches provide a beautiful backdrop for your daily journey. At night, unwind in charming fishing villages like Hoi An, at imperial cities like Hue, and with local families on the Mekong Delta. Love to eat? The fresh food you’ll find throughout the country of Vietnam is worth the trip alone.
- Raft Colorado– With 158 rivers, this Rocky Mountain playground is a fantastic destination for rafters of every skill level and persuasion – from white-water daredevils to those who just want to float. Gorgeous side canyons beckon for short hikes and climbs. No time for a multi-day trip? Half-day rafting trips are easy to find.
- Snorkel Belize – Head to this English-speaking Caribbean country for jungle caving, Mayan ruins, killer seafood – and some of the best snorkeling on the planet. No experience is necessary to explore the spectacular Belize Barrier Reef, the second longest barrier reef on the globe. Running north and south along the coastline, the reef is super accessible and is dotted with islands where you can base your adventure. Find gentle currents and easy shallows – or venture to famous dive spots like the Blue Hole and Shark Ray Alley.
- Trek the Himalayas – Fly into Kathmandu and you will see the Himalayas stretching across the horizon as far as the eye can see. It’s truly a spiritual experience to visit Nepali villages and trek in these majestic mountains, which are so sharp they almost appear metallic. Add white-water rafting to your overseas adventure travel in Nepal for a dose of adrenaline.
Related on Organic Authority