Weight loss is easier when you burn calories all day long, but do you know how to boost metabolism? Increasing simple movements throughout your day you can bring you to new calorie-burning heights. Simply pause for a set or two of these low-impact movements two or three times during the day to improve your metabolism and boost your energy, naturally!
1. Sit taller! That’s right, by sitting up straight you are making more muscles work then if your slouched forward, plus you’re back will feel a lot better too!
2. Squat it out.
If you're wondering how to boost metabolism without spending more time at the gym, squats (and lunges) are the answer. Simple squats are a great exercise to wake you up, stretch you out and kick up your metabolism before you’ve had your first cup of coffee
- Stand with feet wider than shoulder width apart and slightly rotated out, making sure the rotation comes from your hips. Your knees should be aligned with your feet (avoid your knees buckling in). Lower your hips down as low as it feels good for you, while maintaining good form and sticking your backside out.
- As you stand up out of the deep squat, rotate to your right, pivoting on your left toe. Keep the focus on stretching and turning on your muscles on the backsides of your legs (glutes and hamstrings). Continue reaching with your arms up and away from your body towards your right side.
- Un-rotate as you return to a deep squat, feeling as though your backside gets a little closer to the ground with each repetition.
- Stand up and rotate to your left, pivoting on your right toe.
Now that you know the basics of how to boost metabolism with squats, it's time to learn how to stretch.
3. Roll Down Stretches
Do this simple stretching routing two to five times anytime throughout your day or right before bed to help you relax and lengthen your body out.
- Stand tall reaching your arms towards the sky while taking in a deep breath.
- Hinge forward, arching your back, softening your knees, and reaching your arms behind you to stretch your chest. Hinge forward as far as you can without rounding your back, to feel a low back and hamstring stretch.
- Then round your spine forward, letting your head and neck relax. Reach as far to your toes as you can, take a deep breath here then slowly roll up one vertebrae at a time. Use your abs to help bring you up, and your head is the last to come up.
Learning how to boost metabolism doesn't have to be complicated. Sometimes the answer is just to take a deep breath...then a few more! TThe more oxygen you take in he more calories you burn, so relax your shoulders, sit up tall and take in those deep breaths throughout your day. NOw you know why everyone's so crazy about yoga!
So you have a hard time remembering how to boost metabolism with these simple movements; write them down on a sticky note and place it at your desk, mirror, or fridge. Also try setting an alarm that will remind you to pause for a few minutes of metabolism-boosting movement.
Related on Organic Authority: