I love to find ways to add fruit to savory dishes or summer soups (case in point: my melon soup with sparkling wine), and this is recipe is no exception. If you need more protein or a healthy fat, add avocado, sautéed or grilled chicken breast or thighs, or salmon.
To make the dressing for this salad, I blend nutty sesame oil with fruity extra-virgin olive oil. My brand of choice is Manni's Oil of Life, made from the first press of superior-grade, antioxidant-rich organic olives from Tuscany. This elegant, nutrient-packed oil boasts a mild yet complex aroma that complements the diverse flavors in this salad without overpowering them.
Pro tip: If you don't want to do all the chopping of the vegetables, simply use a food processor.
Watch the Spicy Asian Salad video.
- 1 red and yellow bell pepper, julienned and halved
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned and halved
- 1/2 head green cabbage sliced and roughly chopped
- 1/2 head purple cabbage sliced and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, packed, roughly chopped
- 2-3 green onions, white and green parts separated, green parts sliced thin for garnish
- 1/2 mango, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped, toasted peanuts, for garnish
Make the dressing: Zest and juice the lime and the orange and put into small to medium bowl or a jar (we are in love with these Weck Tulip and Cylindrical Jars). Add the remaining ingredients and whisk or shake (if you're using a jar) until combined. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Make the salad: In a large bowl toss the bell peppers, carrots, cabbage, cilantro, mint and green onions with vinaigrette. Put salad into a large serving bowl and neatly lay cut mango across the top of the salad. Sprinkle salad with chopped peanuts and serve.
*Note! This article contains affiliate links that are independently sourced and vetted by our editorial team which we may earn a commission on. This helps us reduce the number of ads we serve on Organic Authority and help deliver you a better user experience. We are here to help you navigate the overwhelming world of consumer products to source and uncover thoughtfully made, conscious clean products.