Yesterday, I provided tips on selecting a juicy organic watermelon. Today, we feature a Fourth of July recipe for a festive Americana Basket.
All of the ingredients should be available at your local natural and organic food store.
1 oblong-shaped watermelon
- Using an oblong watermelon, slice 1/4″ off the bottom, lengthwise, to provide stable base.
- Use a pencil to draw lines for handle placement and basket opening.
- Cut the handle first, wide enough to hold stars; then make zigzag cuts with a paring knife, all the way through the rind. Be careful not to cut through the handle base on either side.
- Carefully remove sections, pulling out large chunks of flesh. Cut them into 3” x 3” squares.
- From squares, trim off 3/4” thick slices to cut out stars. Use 1½” to 3” star-shaped cookie cutters to create them.
- Next, cut out 5 large star-shaped pieces from the leftover rind. Use a paring knife, if necessary, for the handle. Trim off red flesh, and attach to basket handle with white side out, using half toothpicks.
- Use an ice cream scoop to remove flesh from inside of basket, and cut scoops into quarters for the fruit salad. Place in bottom of the basket.
- Use a white-fleshed melon like ripe honeydew to cut out white “stripes” for salad.
- Garnish top of fruit salad with watermelon stars, melon stripes and blueberries.
Recipe and photos courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board