It’s that skin around the eyes; a dead giveaway you’re of age for a rental car… and say goodbye to the glory days of being carded for cocktails. Sure, embracing our age as we weather with both grace and wisdom is an awesome intention. But the skin around your eyes contains very few sebaceous and sweat glands coupled with very thin skin. What results? The first tell tale signs of aging – wrinkles. So, while fighting off the inevitable is a fool’s game, giving that extra sensitive skin the moisture it so desires is just plain old nice. Plus, with this recipe for homemade eye cream, you get to avoid all the gimmicks, the nasty chemicals and the exorbitant price tags.
What you’ll need:
- 3 tsp jojoba oil
- 3 tsp apricot-kernel oil
- 1 tsp beeswax
- 5 tsp rose water
- 1/4 tsp borax
- 5 drops carrot-seed essential oil
What to do:
- Put the jojoba oil, apricot-kernel oil and beeswax into a small saucepan and heat the mixture over very low heat just until the beeswax has melted.
- Remove from heat blend up all the ingredients with a whisk.
- In another small saucepan, warm the rose water over very low heat and add the borax; stir until the borax is dissolved, and remove from heat.
- Place the saucepan with the oils and wax into an ice bath. With a small whisk, rapidly stir wax and oils while drizzling in the rose water and borax mixture. The cream should set quickly.
- When the eye-wrinkle cream is cool, mix in the carrot-seed essential oil.
- Put the finished eye cream into a clean 2-oz. cream or cosmetic jar.
Your brilliantly concocted eye cream will keep for about a month at a cool room temperature, or 2 months if you refrigerate it. Couple it with our Homemade Avocado Cream for Dry Hands and our Homemade Bath and Body Oil for Dry Skin and you’ll be head-to-toe supple, nourished and naturally beautiful.