Pain can be one of the most debilitating parts of illness or injury. But natural pain management is often possible. Check out our seven natural pain relief techniques.
1. Relaxation: To relieve pain, try putting yourself in a relaxed, reclined position in a dark room. This alone may reduce your everyday pain.
Chronic pain may also be reduced through relaxation and controlled breathing. Shut your eyes or focus on a point. Slow your breathing and breathe deeply. If your mind wanders, think of the word "relax" and chant it in your mind. Control your breathing for several minutes and use imagery techniques.
2. Acupuncture: Acupuncture uses fine needles to unblock energy channels and balance the flow of energy throughout the body. This may reduce your pain by relieving pressure throughout your body.
3. Essential oils: Essential oils can be applied to the area of pain or inhaled to manage pain symptoms. Another pain management solution is a combination of oils poured into a capsule. Frankinscence, Idaho Balsam Fir and Copaiba essential oils---about five drops each---in a capsule are a common pain relief combination. Peppermint, wintergreen, valerian and other essential oils can be applied directly to the pain site and may ease pain.
4. Hydrotherapy: Water can be applied to the body via shower, sauna, bath or compress. It may relieve stress, stimulate blood flow and release toxins.
5. Massage: Applying pressure to the body's soft tissue through massage may relieve tension, improve circulation and reduce pain.
From the Organic Authority Files
6. Yoga: Stretching and holding certain positions can relax both the mind and the body. Yoga also may build strength and stabilize joints that can be the source of pain.
7. Herbal medicine: In addition to essential oils, dry herbs can be used for pain relief. Visit a naturopath or herbalist to find the right herbal remedy for your pain. Possibilities include peppermint, feverfew, skullcap, angelica, rosemary and valerian root.
Related on Organic Authority