The Asian spice turmeric is perhaps best associated with curry dishes, but savvy organic consumers also recognize its health benefits—from reducing inflammation to its potential role in preventing diabetes.
Turmeric fans know the spice adds vibrant color to any dish, and our weekend recipe is no exception. Earthy cauliflower and naturally sweet tomatoes partner to create a healthful vegetarian side dish.
Prep time is 10 minutes, cook time is 40 minutes, and all of the ingredients should be readily available at your local natural and organic food store.
Turmeric-Roasted Cauliflower and Tomatoes
Makes 10 servings
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 10 cups)
1 bag (12 ounces) vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, halved (about 2 cups)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix oil, sea salt, turmeric and red pepper in small bowl.
- Place cauliflower and tomatoes in large bowl. Drizzle with half of the oil mixture; toss to coat well. Repeat with remaining oil mixture.
- Spread vegetables in single layer in foil-lined large shallow baking pan.
- Roast in preheated 425°F oven for 40 minutes or until cauliflower is tender, stirring halfway through cooking time.
- Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 90 calories, 6 g fat, 2 g protein, 7 g carbohydrates, 0 mg cholesterol, 233 mg sodium, 3 g fiber
Recipe and photo courtesy of McCormick