Brace yourself – it’s pumpkin season! Kick off autumn with a delicious pumpkin recipe. This gluten-free vegan pumpkin muffin recipe avoids all frills and fancies and really lets the natural fall aromas of pumpkin and apple shine through. The result is a comforting breakfast or snack with an earthy texture, a fragrant taste, and oh-so-seductive caramel-like overtones.
This pumpkin muffin recipe relies on an almond flour and gluten-free oats base, offering you plenty of plant-based protein and fiber. It is sweetened with coconut palm sugar, a low-glycemic alternative to brown sugar, and spiced up with pumpkin pie spice and vanilla and almond extracts. Coconut oil comes in the picture to moisten the muffin and give it more substance.
Feel free to add in dark chocolate chips, chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans work great), and chopped dried fruit (figs and apricots are excellent choices). You can also take this pumpkin muffin recipe a step further by pairing it with a vegan coconut cream, and you can still enjoy it for breakfast!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
2 cups almond flour
3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 apple, chopped
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquid
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
6 tablespoons water
1 cup gluten-free oats
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, oats, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and baking power.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flaxseeds and water to create the “flax egg” equivalent of 2 eggs. Set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- In a medium bowl, add the apple, pumpkin puree, coconut oil, extracts, and flax eggs. Mix until well combined. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Spray a muffin tin with coconut oil spray and scoop the batter evenly across 12 muffins. Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out of the center of each muffin clean.
- Serve warm and top with your favorite creamy vegan butter.